View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 08:52 AM
Bree123

I love carded battings. A friend of mine at university grew up on a large farm with dozens of sheep that they had sheered every Spring. I know her parents always had the wool washed prior to making the batts because honestly sheep are pretty filthy. Their wool is all dirty & covered in twigs & leaves and grass and whatnot. They would get it back from the sheerer cleaned & carded and then would sew it inside cheesecloth (I think they maybe used muslin once or twice, but usually it was cheesecloth). You don't want to wash the quilt every week, but theirs held up fine with waiting to wash them after the quilting was completed. They hand tied all their quilts at 2-3" apart.

Anna's parents no longer have their sheep, but I'm saving up to buy some hand carded wool batting from a local supplier in Wisconsin. For a sewing machine, you're probably going to have to lower the pressure on your presser foot to accommodate the thicker batt/cheesecloth. I would do a test run with water soluble thread to see how it quilts up (or water soluble in the bobbin & standard thread on top). I wouldn't quilt farther than 3" apart to help prevent shifting/balling of the wool fibers. I know that's what the supplier I have recommends for her carded wool batt.

If your quilts are anything like the ones in Anna's home, there is nothing like them. They are so warm & comfortable whether on the coldest day of winter or a chilly summer night. The cushioning makes them almost like a sleeping mat if you put it on the floor. I think you're really going to love this special gift!