Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 AM
UncleGravy

This is a great reply. It's kinda how I like to think about choosing color, but in reality for me, it's very difficult visualize those colors in my head. What I've started doing now is finding photos or images that convey those abstract ideas to me using color. Then I try to pick a part those individual colors in the photo, and find fabrics that come close to them.

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
Watson, I looked at the photo of the baby quilt with the wide yellow ribbon and a big flower where a bow would sit. For your new color selections, think of the RECIPIENT, if you know the person you are making it for. Then, hold an idea in your mind, like RAINBOW, or SUMMER DAY, or BIG SALAD, and then your colors can be selected to fulfill the picture in your mind, colorwise. If you have already purchased your fabrics, lay them out on the floor. Wake up in the morning (say, 3 am) and with NO LIGHTS ON, or only a faint wisp of light from another room, stand and examine your fabrics with your NIGHT EYES. Your eyes see with rods for Black/White and grey. And cones for the colors which require light to work. Use your limited vision to see the values of all your fabrics together. Rearrange them, and then go back to sleep. Try to dream about cutting and sewing your fabrics, sometimes that helps. Then, decide on the RIBBON COLOR FIRST, then the FLOWER design. Then add in other fabrics that enhance these Focus points in your quilt. And be sure to show us your choices.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-01-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: remove promotion of own business