View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Bree123

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Misty fuse is very light. Fusible washes away when the quilt is laundered, so even if you use heat n bond lite and it feels a little stiff, it's going to disappear when you launder the quilt upon completion.
Very few fusibles claim they wash-away & I'm not sure that would be desirable. The only double-sided fusible I know of that washes away is Dritz Wonder Tape which I've used for hemming pants -- but with hemming, you're working with a turned or serged edge, not a raw edge that can fray. If you want a temporary adhesive for satin stitched or turned edge applique, I'd go with Elmer's Washable School Glue rather than Wonder Tape.

Fusibles are designed to permanently fuse the 2 pieces of fabric together. If you apply it properly & launder as indicated, one should never be able to separate the 2 fabrics where the fusible is applied (and even if they do separate due to user error, the fusible will still be on the fabric). Each fusible has different instructions for application. Read & follow them very carefully. I use a muslin pressing cloth to make sure I'm not overdrying the fusible when adhering it with the iron. Then, I always tell clients/recipients to wash in cold water on the gentle cycle and tumble dry on low heat -- no bleach or fabric softener. If you do all those things, the fusible should form a strong permanent bond between your fabrics that becomes softer with each wash but doesn't break down and separate. Fusible will allow you to do a generous 1/4" stitch around your applique without worrying about it fraying.