Old 04-03-2016, 03:24 PM
isamugoods

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Could be tension related, but I have had similar issues when the needle has taken a hit, or developed a burr for some reason. Sewing through hard nylon wears them out faster too. In other words, the needle tip might be catching the tread on its' way up. Have you tried a new needle? Run the tip of the needle over the tip of you finger nail or a nylon stocking and see if it catches. There could be a burr in the needle hole too. For top stitch thread you might need a large eye needle too, size 110 and 120 sometimes are anyway, at least jeans needles. Tera 40 is closer to top stitch or extra strength? Thread weight systems get me confused.
Tera 40 is equivalent to tex 75 and 69 sizes. I haven't felt and burrs on the needle, but I will try a new one when I get the chance. I will also try a 110 denim needle and report back what I find.

Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
My experience with this type of trouble mirrors Mickey2's... burr on needle, hook or needle plate catching the tread. Really doesn't take much of a burr to cause this kind of issue.
I too thought it had something to do with a burr on the hook as I had an issue with a past sewing machine where the hook was only catching half of the thread and tearing it, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here. Also, isn't it weird that it sews through the vinyl without these issues?

Thanks for the replies!