View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 02:09 PM
BarbeeQ

Default HELP! Steve H. I'm Starting to Restore a Singer 72W19

Dear Steve:

I have read and followed your thread - which gave me hope to find my own vintage hemstitcher at an affordable price. My husband is willing and very mechanically inclined...we just need a starting place!

We found a one-owner 1929 Singer 72W19 machine in Canada and just brought it home for my birthday this weekend. Originally purchased in Hudson Bay, B.C.

Would you be willing to outline for us where to start, what products to use, step-by-step to work on restoring the machine, cabinet and treadle? It's not in bad shape, but has been unused for 40 years. And I've seen restored/repainted cast iron legs and treadle that are beautiful! I know we can do this together, if we knew what to use and had guidance on how to get started to remove old paint and prep, etc. What wax is best to shine up the machine head? After cleaning do we grease or oil it all up again? What is the process for this?

My daughter and I will be keeping this and doing our own personal projects on it and hope to keep it in our family. Also the machine came with a handwritten log book with all jobs since 1930 and it also has a beautiful vintage tin case with many foot attachments. Many are for different sized rolled hems and one may possibly be a ruffler or a walking foot? Another has a measuring guide. How would I learn to use these?

Looking forward to your kind guidance, help and expertise!

Best regards,
Barbara

Last edited by BarbeeQ; 04-04-2016 at 02:19 PM.