View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:00 AM
wendi3107

Default Elna #1 - tension, speed, stitch length

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that those of you with Elna #1 (Grasshopper) knowledge can help me out. Having just acquired one, type 500890 ("48" is stamped on the back under the round cover, built in 1948 perhaps?), but with only vintage Singers (221, 201, 301, 15-91) and Pfaffs (130, 230, 362) by which to compare, I have some questions.

Tension -
No matter how I adjust the tension (top or bottom) the bottom thread more or less lies along the bottom of the material. The tension on the bobbin thread feels tight (compared to my other machines) and is unchanged regardless of how much the bobbin tension adjustment screw is loosened.

I've dialed the top tension (which has been disassembled and cleaned) up to 3, which makes a slight improvement, but does not correct the problem.

Stitch length -
This seems tiny, even when set on 4, but the feed dogs seems to be working properly. Is this normal?

Speed -
The machine didn't come with the reducer accessory, but based on the speed that the machine runs without it, I cannot imagine why I'd want it to go any slower - which made me wonder, is there is something wrong with the motor? It runs quietly, and does not seem to run hot and hasn't produced any smoke - which seem to bode well. :-)

Any assistance and advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
Wendi & the Grasshopper