Old 04-11-2016, 12:46 PM
slbram17

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Regarding clothing, I've already donated all of the stuff I know I will never wear. Looking at the rest, I think I am ready to give away at least 2/3rds of what is left. These include nice clothing that I simply don't wear because we never go out to places where I would wear them (concerts, parties) and clothing I have outgrown (for the last 10, 20, 30 or so pounds). I would keep maybe two complete dress-up outfits. I have many single pieces -- skirts, tops, pants, scarves -- that really don't go together. My daughter talked me into some of the dressier clothes she likes to wear, but I never feel comfortable in them.

Anyway, I think I'm okay with giving away a lot more clothing.

It's the quilting that I wonder about. I've already packed up a trunkful of boxes full of sewing items, magazines and fabrics to give away (planning to give to a Project Linus group locally). But I still have a couple of bookcases full of books and magazines, more fabrics than I can probably ever sew in my remaining lifetime, etc. I am wondering if I will regret digging deeper into this stuff, even though some of it I haven't looked at in 5 years.

I know that no one can really make the decisions for me, but I am wondering what some of you who have been there - done that can advise, looking back.
The last time I moved, I didn't have the massive amount of "hobby related stuff" I do now. But I hope the next move, I will look forward to it as a chance for a new start, disposing of a lot of the fabric, patterns, etc. I have accumulated. I mostly try to work from my current inventory of fabric, but sometimes think how nice it would be to go out and find something new to work with. So in my opinion, I would sell or donate as much as you can before you move. It is a strong motivating factor that only comes around in a major change like a move.