Old 04-13-2016, 04:54 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Default refurbished or electrified sewing machines from 1930s and 1940s

History of sewing machines would not be complete with out some note about sewing machines that were 'refurbished' or 'electrified'
There was a market for used sewing machines. My Mom bought one to go to college. Her machine was just used, not motorized. It was a chain stitch treadle. It is all she remembers. She thought it was a Singer but when we got a Standard, she sewed on it and remembered everything. As soon as she graduated from college, her parents gifted her with a Singer Featherweight. Who knows what happened to the old chain stitch machine.
So the story goes. Lots of people needing sewing machines. It was the thing to electrify old sewing machines. Put them back in use. Sew your own clothes or remodel/repair the old ones. There were MANY companies or repairmen that made money buying and selling used sewing machines.

Most of the rebuilding of sewing machines took place during and after WWII, by shops other than Singer. I believe I have seen a good half dozen different shops in Indiana. It is unlikely that Singer re-built any machines at all. Singer had re-tooled to manufacture munitions during the war, but they were also setting on a large stock of brand new machines that they didn’t sell during the depression preceding the war, and weren’t selling very well after the war ended. People didn’t have much money, so rebuilt older models were more attractive to most post-war budgets. The rough texture paint was popular during the 40s on all kinds of things. That, and it being easier for the small independent shops to apply than the Japanning process made it a go-to re-finish for the little shops. Then some just slapped a crude coat of black paint on the machine.

The coming of electrification played a big role in rebuild activities. Many of the rebuilds that we see are machines that have been converted from treadle to electric. Singer was on the cutting edge of the design and manufacture of electric-powered sewing machines, but not everyone wanted to or could afford to buy a new machine - the majority of sewing machine owners COULD NOT WAIT!! to get rid of the foot-powered drive and take advantage of the new electrical driven power source. Once electricity became available to them, they wanted to use it.

Many had probably become very proficient with their old machines, and may have wanted to avoid learning how to use a new machine, but changing how the machine was driven may not have intimidated them as much. Some of the paint jobs may have simply been an attempt to pretty the machine up after new shiny parts had been added (motor, disc balance wheel, bobbin winder on the belt guard, etc.) that didn’t match the old finish. I have seen nice paint jobs and really nasty looking paint jobs. There were probably as many old machines rebuilt by owner request as rebuilt to sell to a new owner.

As you can see, these are NOT attractive. (Note: I am limited on the number of pictures I can post here - I posted a lot more pics on Victorian Sweat Shop forum - same topic: http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/po...pid=1291921714 - I have no money making interest there)

Most of the time these machines have been altered. All have new motors. All have some kind of paint job, usually with a nasty dirty brush but occasionally one was carefully repainted. Some had new hand wheels, some had small hand wheels and modified bobbin winders. Some say Singer some have no name - well, maybe under the paint. Some had clamp on or clip on lights. Motors were added in a variety of ways, some drilled holes on the side, some on the back, some on the base, some on the rear cover - well a replacement rear cover. Some had decals saying where they were refurbished some not.

Most recently, I acquired a Singer from 1908 that had been refurbished.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547683[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]547684[/ATTACH]

It was not the first I'd seen but maybe it is the nicest. It came in a hand made wooden case. The case is bent plywood nailed to the end pieces. There is a handle on the top and latches on the ends. Sort of like the cases you would see in the 1940s I guess yet with a bent wood top.

Open up. The machine was fairly free of lint and dried up oil. A bit of cleaning and oiling and she was ready. The machine had been drilled to attach a motor and a light. The cords seem to be in excellent shape. The machine's serial number is from 1908.

The machine was painted black except around the edges... At first I thought it was additional wear. Yet the controller and motor looks new and unused. The machine exterior was covered in black soot or was it paint coming off on the rag. Other than the exterior, it cleaned up fine. Plated parts not wonderful. Everything inside was freely moving once I put fresh oil on it. All except the bobbin case. That was filthy and took considerable clean up. The tension was clean and in good shape. There was a rubber band wrapped around the bobbin winder and it needed a little TLC.

Ok so the machine had been a bit modified - Singer was jealous of any bit of money a repair guy made I guess.

Repair Notes to self:

Hinge pin holes were filled in. Then hinges were cut to fit hinges on the case.

It looks like places were masked and painted but not around the edges.

Light - holes drilled in the back of the machine

Motor holes drilled on the side of the machine.

Bobbin winder enlarged mounting hole?

Case was built by Mr. Ludy. Info stamped inside the box sticker or water slide on outside

Little button or knob turns to release machine to tilt back. Simple L shape to hold it in place

Machine was painted black and some comes off when rubbed

Rubber band on the bobbin winder

Nice motor and controller but cord rotted in storage
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by miriam; 04-13-2016 at 05:02 AM.