View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 AM
SuzzyQ

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
I am very sorry about the lady who had the bad experience with UPS. The rule is that it needs to have 2" in all directions. So the best thing is to put the boxed machine inside another box with some padding (a blanket wrapped around it would work). You shouldn't have any problem with the professional movers, but I would box it myself and put it in another box. You could stop by a fabric/sewing machine shop and probably get a box to fit. Or try an appliance store. When we make our 'big' moves, we mark our boxes with a number and have a small notebook that says what is in the box (not details, just generic example - clothing, kitchen stuff, etc). And take pictures of the stuff while it is in the house just in case. As for personal shipping, in 28 years of shipping, the only claims that UPS did not honor where those that had not been packaged correctly. They even honored ones that did not have the original receipt but had a picture and could show the item in a catalog or other store info. The thing you want to do is package it yourself so that you know it is done right - whether you ship it with professional BONDED movers or with UPS.
Could you watch them pack your machines?
And for goodness sake insure your machines! No matter what...