View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Snooze2978

I starch all my fabrics excluding the backings before I cut. I use what we quilters know as "Quilter's Moonshine". I make mine up in a gallon jug and keep it in the fridge down in the sewing room. I use sta flo starch along with the vodka.

Also I just found an old time wooden wringer section off a washer. Mostly all wood. Picked up a galvanized tub to attach the wringer section to so I can wring out my fabrics when I starch. Its tough going when you're starching large pieces of fabrics and I still couldn't wring them out by hand without it dripping all over the place. Now I can use this wringer setup (as soon as I clean and sand it down a little). Will probably make a sock to go over the rollers so not to transfer any marks to the light colored fabrics.

Also I let my fabrics dry completely before I press them. I usually mist them with plain water while I press as it seems to help ease out the wrinkles from wringing them out. With the new wringer setup I shouldn't have so many wrinkles..................hopefully.

Starch is my friend.

Last edited by Snooze2978; 04-16-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional info