Thread: Accuracy
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Bree123

I agree with the others. I started measuring my seams as soon as I sewed them. They were absolutely precise. My problem was with the cutting (and it was a BIG problem). Since I bought a Shape Cut ruler, my cutting has dramatically improved, but it's still in need of some work. At some point, I hope to be able to afford either a die cut or an electronic cutting machine. For now, if it's a family quilt, I ease it in &/or adjust my math to make it work. I really don't worry if it's a generous 1/8" off. They are meant to be loved & used, not scrutinized -- and honestly, even most quilters don't notice such a small discrepancy once it's quilted as long as the points match up. For client quilts, I will re-do any blocks that are off enough that I can't hide the problem in the seam allowance (e.g., 1/16" is close enough on most patterns to hide -- as long as I catch my cutting errors before I start sewing). Competition quilts are a totally different story -- those generally do need to be perfect, regardless of how many times that requires unsewing, resewing, recutting, starting over, etc. The judges will notice something like that. But I don't feel the need to be so competitive in real life.