View Single Post
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
I have taught a couple of teenagers basic sewing skills piecing charm squares into blocks for charity quilts.
A simple pieced tote bag might also be a good starter project.
I always start quilting newbies with a small patchwork pillow. The reason is if the first project while they learn has a quick pattern, easy instructions, and a nice result, they are more likely to keep going. That is what my 4H leader did, then let us pick the second project with some suggestions of learning curve, what issues might crop up, and of course she was there to answer questions as we worked. Adults might be able to start larger, but if they get frustrated, you will see the unfinished, frustrating project at a second hand store usually in a plastic bag....just my thoughts.

Another idea- Eleanor Burns wrote her "Double Irish Chain" quilt book back in a time that not many knew how to sew or quilt, so it is broken down in easy to follow, step by step instructions and illustrations, with several variations. I love the fact that even the reprints remain faithful to the original. This book is responsible for thousands of quilters being "discovered" on their own. You can even get everyone a copy of the book on www.alibris.com for not much. I think I paid about $8.00 for the last copy I gifted with fabric.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-19-2016 at 09:34 AM.