Thread: one hand
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2016, 09:38 AM
quiltingcandy

Welcome from Southern California!! Tartan has some good suggestions. If you are near a big city there is a good chance there are some "Occupational" therapists that work with such disabilities. They are more than physical therapists they work with people that have suffered strokes and injuries to return to daily living with work arounds. I would send people to them when I handled Workers' Compensation and people that no longer had the fine motor skills, such as if they couldn't hold a needle in the one hand they would put the needle in a piece of something they could hold (say an eraser) and then thread it with the other hand. Same with cutting things they had special things to put on the steering wheel in the car.

I was amazed at all the little clues. I wish I could remember them all. Do you have a needle threader? I have the Desk Needle Threader from Clover and love it. Bohin makes one too that a lot of people like. It works for the smaller needles. When I bought mine it was at the local quilt show and the shop also sold a base for it which makes it more steady.

Have you tried using the little wire needle threader with the machine? just put it in from behind and then pull it thru? I was doing that for a while when I needed new glasses and I swear the needle was winking at me.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-23-2016 at 09:52 AM.