View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 04:59 AM
Manalto

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Do you have lots of fabric left? Normally you really want to make sure that the edge of your quilt is on the straight of grain. Sometimes it's better to ignore some of the rules. I would make additional full size blocks. Stay stitch along the diagonal. Then cut 1/4" away from the stay stitching. The stay stitching will keep the block from stretching, but I would also handle the quilt gently when quilting. The cut off portions can be joined to make additional blocks for another project or added to the backing for interest. Obviously, I have a typo in the pic. It's 1/4" not 14" LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548459[/ATTACH]
Illustrations are really helpful for those of us who think visually. Now I see what I have to do. I will make the blocks normally, BUT add at least .7" to the LENGTH of the block. (This is the length of the black diagonal line between the blue and red line in your illustration - it's the hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle with .5" sides) Adding a little more will simply add more seam allowance for the binding. Stay-stitching before cutting is a really good idea.

I know I can make the block the way you describe and throw away almost half of it after trimming, but my goal is to avoid that waste. I never waste anything. Trying to think of an application for 14" seam allowances. There has to be one! (ha, ha)

James

Last edited by Manalto; 04-24-2016 at 05:02 AM.