View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 03:44 PM
Ps 150

Default Alzheimer Quilt For "Ma"

I did not have an ideal childhood. I escaped from my home as often as I could. I often escaped to one of two friend's houses. Their mothers were more of a mother to me than my own was. But as I grew up, I lost contact over the years with both my friends and their mothers. I often saw them here and there, and on social media, but it wasn't the same. One of my friend's mothers did not join social media, though, so I didn't hear as much from her. Then someone told me in passing that she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I immediately called her, but her husband answered. When I asked to speak with her, he hesitated. He asked who I was and what I was calling about. I reminded him who I was and told him the tragic news I had heard. He confirmed that the diagnosis was true, but that it was nine years late. She's been suffering for nine years with this crippling disease. My heart broke. It had really been that long since I had reached out to her. The guilt is incredible. Her husband said that she's just shell of herself and probably has less than a year left. I offered to make her a fidget quilt, but he says that she's far passed that. Now she just drags blankets around in confusion. That's when I decided to make this. It's just like the scripture quilts that my church makes for cancer patients, but I used "Faith, Hope & Love" fabric for the rail fence sections and the in the middle blocks I wrote various, encouraging scripture verses. Not so much for her, but for her kids, grandkids, husband and mother. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails 006-2-.jpg   007-3-.jpg