View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 AM
Bree123

I'm not sure what you usually use. I now always use either Aurifil 40wt or 50wt for quilting (or on very rare occasion 28wt) because I had problems with other threads. It is an extremely strong, high quality thread. Aurifil is made with extra long staple cotton (mako), the strongest cotton fiber that exists. I make baby quilts with it that get washed on a weekly basis & have no problems at all. Mako cotton is designed to go at least 50 years before showing even the slightest loss of strength, and even then it will only be a very small loss of tensile strength. That is to say, compared to every other natural fiber thread on the market, it is designed to last the longest.

I quilt with it all the time. I'm now starting to prefer the heavier weight Aurifil threads because I like my quilting to show up more. 50wt in any brand will blend in more. Since Aurifil is a 2-ply thread, it will sink into the fabric even more than the 3-ply threads that are more commonly found. It quilts beautifully, but if you are matching the color to the background fabric it will not show up much from a distance.

EDIT: I quilt on a DSM.