View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 01:49 PM
mjpEncinitas

NativeTexan, I'm glad you enjoyed the quilts even though it isn't your thing. I'm not sure if it was the Day of the Dead theme or the raw edge applique that isn't your thing.

In San Diego a lot people celebrate Day of the Dead since we are so close to Mexico. Our town has a large Day of the Dead festival. After my sister and Dad died, that's when I decided to make these quilts. It is my way of honoring them. Here is a great animation that talks about Day of the Dead. Good for kids and adults https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQnUuq-TEE You have to watch 3 seconds of an ad before you can skip to the animation.

While I love to look at them, I've never been that interested in making traditional quilts. Most of my quilts are of my own design and usually pretty different. I think I needed a creative outlet and following patterns just doesn't give it to me, while I know it does for others. I love the design part the most. My husband did the wedding drawing for the DOD quilt, so it was nice we could work together on it. I hope when my kids inherit that quilt they will think of their dad and I. While I have made original quilts for all my kids beds, most of the quilts I make are more for wall hangings.

and these quilts were fun to make and make people smile although they were a lot more work then I expected.

I hope that helps you understand why people are interested in these types of quilts.