Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 AM
JuneBillie
Power Poster

Sewbizgirl sadly I have to admit I was the same way as your daughter when I was her age. My mother would mention how I could start a quilt with some simple squares and just piece them by hand etc. She would even give me some she would cut out for me. I did not have the passion for it then. I did make curtains and even managed to make a very simple skirt and jacket at that time. I enjoyed using the sewing machine back then. My first old singer mom gave me at 16. I loved it. Had one old Kenmore that used cams for a few different stitches and loved it for what I did. I hated cutting things out with those thin tissue patterns. lol.. I went to many fabric stores back then with mom as she would pick out fabric. Those stores were everywhere around our area in those days, but none in my own county now. I did (mainly for mom) make one whole quilt in my 20's sewing together just square blocks. It was the ugliest quilt I have ever seen, but I did put the middle and backing on and hand sewed every part of it. It was nice and warm, but very ugly.

Then after I retired from teaching due to my health in 2010, it wasn't long that I started hand piecing a quilt again, and enjoyed it, but at this point I am much older, and needed something to do with my mind and hands. I made one Bow Tuck Purse that mom couldn't believe I made. lol.. Mom then starting giving me some fabric to use, and I went out and bought some very pretty and nice fabric to make my mom a pretty Bow Tuck. I ask her if I could, and she said yes make me one. I knew she was getting sicker, because she never would have said that before.

Mom gave me another machine that I still have, but she died before I got her Bow Tuck Made. I would give anything today to have her going to fabric shops with me and us sewing together. Why things happen when they do I will never know. But I feel she left all of her passion for sewing with me to carry on, and that helps me today.

One more of my little stories.

Last edited by JuneBillie; 05-03-2016 at 10:32 AM.