View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 11:37 AM
marge954

Ah family drama. My heart goes out to you. I've been quilting for 20+ years and my own mother has never noticed or said wow. I have made and given a few quilts to family members that have expressed an interest in having a quilt. I have actually put in my will who gets what quilts. My "adopted" daughter thinks it's odd but okay that I have also requested one quilt that is my favorite and the first quilt I made for my hubby be cremated with each of us and if that's not possible then the two are to be burned. I believe that she will follow my wishes since she loves my quilts but if the all get sent to Goodwill I'll be dead and it becomes a mute point
I do give quilts to kids coming out of foster care at age 18 for this reason:
Every year, almost 30,000 kids age out of the foster care system after childhoods when many move from house to house and school to school. For most foster kids, the day they turn 18, they're suddenly on their own, responsible to find a place to live, manage their money, their shopping, their clothing, their food and try to continue their education, all when most of their peers still get help from mom and dad.
The kids are overwhelmed that someone would hand make a gift for them and are so appreciative.
I make quilts for myself and they are the expression of my soul, my heart, my joys and my sorrows. I hope you find peace with this issue.