Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Default Suggestions for a good machine for daughter

A couple of years ago I picked up 2 Singer H72 computerized machines from Tues. Morning for under $300 each--a travel machine for me and and upgrade to her $90 Walmart Brother for her. On both the bobbin is SO touchy--winding a bobbin has to be done just right to get a nice tight, full bobbin. and loading in the bobbin case is trickey--if you don't get the thread laid in just right it lacks any tension at all.

I can deal with this as I work on my long arm and not afraid to "mess" with a machine. But my DD (30's) sews infrequently and has gotten so she's convinced she can't get the "hang" of this machine. She does have her cheap Brother but I think she would do more sewing if she had a decent machine that didn't have to be handled with kid gloves. Something with a few built-in decorative stitches, a button holer and I know she really likes the stitch up/down feature but says she could do without it. I'm thinking an older, all metal but not super heavy Bernina. Any other ideas? I'm thinking either something I could pick up at an estate sale or trade in this dang Singer.