View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 03:53 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
If I understand correctly, the DIL is planning to make her own curtains, and is not asking you to make them for her. Good for her, and lucky for you! I don't think they make bolts big enough to cover 10+ tall windows, but since she apparently knows how to sew she will probably also do the math to determine how much fabric she needs. This may be a project that she will enjoy, whether or not it turns out to be cheaper than buying them ready made, and she will probably wind up with better quality than she would get elsewhere. If she moves, the curtains can be altered, or maybe the landlord will buy them for the next tenant.
To get the 84" length you will have to cut them lengthwise on the bolt. Quilting fabric is not a great option for use for drapes. Too lightwieght. Too much ironing. I did this for my bedroom. Never again. They always looked unkempt because I hated to iron them. And I used top of the line quilt fabric to match my quilt, shams and bed ruffle that I made. Too expensive too. After five years I took them down and replaced them with heavier, light blocking ones. They also keep the room warmer during bitter cold winter nights.

Sorry for all of the posts. I just went through replacing drapes for SEVEN floor to ceiling farmhouse windows (84" length). Two were in the bedroom. I purchased the Eclipse light blocking drapes from Kohls (walmart carries them too) for the bedroom. Toss them in in a light heat dryer and a dampened hand towel to get the folds out. Works like a charm!

Sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 05-04-2016 at 03:59 AM.