Old 05-08-2016, 05:23 AM
SherriB

Default Help on storing and saving very old quilt tops and blocks

Hubby and I went to a church yard sale yesterday. There was a tote full of old quilt tops and blocks. They were only asking $7 for these precious treasures!! 5 of the 6 quilt tops were hand sewn and made from feedsack and old fabrics. There were also some round blocks made from triangles that were obviously very old. The stitching was just amazing!! Some of the round blocks had already been sewn into blocks and had rust looking stains on the muslin looking fabric.

One of the quilts was machine stitched and is the bow tie block. One is a flying geese, one is a 9 patch and one has a leaf like pattern that I haven't seen before. I would love to make the bow tie block top into a quilt. I feel like it is one that I wouldn't mess up by machine quilting. All the blocks and tops have that old smell to them but I don't mind it. It reminds me of my Mamaw's home. But how to I preserve the rest of the blocks and quilt tops? I would love to display them somehow.

Also in the tote was a package of 100% cotton batting. It is old also. I have never felt batting like it before. It is so soft and says to quilt it about 1/2 inch apart. Would it be okay to use in the bow tie quilt? Or should I save it also?

I am so tickled to have found all these treasures!! I adore 1930's fabrics and feel so blessed to have a quilt top from that time period.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]549584[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549583[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549585[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549586[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549587[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]549588[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2920.jpg   img_2919.jpg   img_2925.jpg   img_2927.jpg   img_2930.jpg  

img_2935.jpg