View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 07:00 AM
thimblebug6000

We drove over from B.C. and it was a wonderful show. We camped right in town, and I was able to attend the schoolhouse classes and also the Ricky Tims class/seminars. The whole town is an "experience" to enjoy, with lots of good food and interesting shops.... but it is a "dry" town so if you're wanting a glass of wine, you will need to bring your own. One friend stayed in the hotel in town and there are strict rules of no alcohol allowed even in your room.
There were a couple of different quilt/fabric stores in the area that we also visited, hopefully your bus tour will include them as well.
Edited: in 2012 when we went..just reading my notes it was very hot and still 100*F at 5 pm, so be prepared for that.
If your request a brochure from Shipshewana tourism they may also have the option where you can pay to have a dinner in an Amish home. We did that and then sat with one of the ladies and hand quilted on a frame for an hour and visited. It was a good experience. In town we shopped at both Lollys and Yoders for fabric.
Some names of the shops, in Middlebury the quilt shop is right next to a restaurant called the Essenhaus, wonderful food... also there are quilt blocks done in the gardens there and a few other places, to check out. We found Homespun Fabrics in Legrange and then went to Caroline's and Emma's...... I really hope you get to enjoy the full experience.

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 05-08-2016 at 07:07 AM.