View Single Post
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM
zozee

I enjoy thinking about a child I'll probably never meet who feels a measure of love and comfort from the quilt I've donated. I picture it keeping a child warm during a cold chemo treatment, something to hug when they're in a police car being taken from mom, swaddling a baby doll and using her imagination as a pretend mommy (for Operation Christmas Child I put these with other gifties and a doll into shoebox gifts), or an I Spy quilt to occupy a child who is spending long days and nights in a hospital room without much color or fun. It's the thought of making someone else happier, or at least comforted, that motivates me.

My immediate family members have not asked for a quilt. I've asked if they'd like one and so far no one has said yes. I'm not taking it personally because, by the same token, I don't need something of their hobbies to make ME feel loved. For example, I'm not a huge sports fan nor have any desire to play video games or take up cycling to know the family loves me. I did feel hurt when I gave my mom a quilt 20 years ago and never again saw it in her home. But I understand now that her mindset is "preserve the prettiest sentimental things" which translates "keep it untouched in the closet." At least that's how I have chosen to let it go. I will also not make something for her again because it's not her love language.

Find a charity that speaks to your heart. You will be blessed to create works of kindness for them.

Last edited by zozee; 05-08-2016 at 11:21 AM.