View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
How very fascinating...first to be able to track family, let alone a quilt. In the history it mentioned a plantation..portobello plantation..is it still in existence. Do you have any other things from your ancestors?
Portobello was on Queen's Creek, on the York River side of I-64 as it goes by Williamsburg toward Newport News. The property now is the highly secure government property known as Camp Peery. I had just arranged to receive a guided tour to explore the old home place (used as a training area for special forces apparently at some point) when 911 occurred and the whole Tidewater area shut down tight. I moved back to TX before I could make another try. We do not know the actual boundaries of the original property owned by Thomas's father John Collier. (John, by the way, was a British surgeon who had served in Africa, of all places.)

Jan in VA

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
Jan that is a beautiful quilt and a wonderful story. I was most interested in the family provenance. I also have Collier ancestors who were in Surry County VA in the 1700s. Perhaps we are cousins.
I'll really bet we are related!! How cool is that, to meet here rather than thru Ancestry.Com, LOL! I'll look around for the family genealogy book and PM you with the names from the maker of this quilt - her children. There were more than one Collier family in Virginia at this time, though; I had the impression they were all related.

Jan in VA