View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

leighway, you may also want to double-check your policy to make sure you are getting a non-tobacco-smoker discount (our company gives one) and also that you are not paying for a foreign travel rider (extra charge that you may not need).

Edit: Please don't quote me as I am not an expert on Medigap plans (supplemental plans for what Medicare does not cover).

As I recall, the federal government defines what plans A through F cover. Plan F is the one with the most coverage. Many different companies will offer plan F, and *all* of these plans are required to meet the same requirements. However, different companies charge different monthly rates for the same plan. That is why you need to shop the companies in your state before purchasing.

Also, when you retire, there is just one *6-month window* during which you can purchase a Medigap supplement ***with no questions asked***. This means whatever company you choose must give you the policy even if you have pre-existing conditions. After that window closes, you can still purchase a Medigap supplement policy *but* the company can ask questions and can turn you down. My sister missed the window and has horrendous pre-existing conditions; however, because she lives in MN she was still able to get a different kind of supplemental policy with similar coverage at a similar price. In many other states, getting this kind of policy after the window closes when you have pre-existing conditions would cost you considerably more per month.

Last edited by Prism99; 05-12-2016 at 02:00 PM.