View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Bree123

Originally Posted by greaterexp View Post
I'm not sure about matching the tones in the variegated thread. I just learned that I'm getting a longarm this weekend and will have to learn how to use it!
Congrats on the new LA!
As far as trying to match variegated threads to your fabric, speaking from experience, I've found that it usually is better to pick a variegated thread that is a strong contrast to the fabric you're quilting. When I've matched it to my fabrics, it ends up looking like I've left areas unquilted wherever the thread matched the fabric. Now I make sure to either pick a solid color that matches, or to pick a variegated thread that shows up equally on all my fabrics regardless of which color/tone of thread I'm working with in the variegation. Some advanced FMQ quilters are able to know when the thread is about to change colors & can move to either always match or always contrast with the fabric ... I'm not nearly that skilled. I'm just happy if all my stitches are properly formed & roughly the same length through all those corners, curves & turns.