View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 AM
paintmejudy

Default Clue 3

I know there isn't that much to do for today, but if we went any farther, the mystery would be blown. Next week all will be revealed. Well, almost all. You still have fabric left that needs some love and attention. So here is week 3's clue.

Again, a reminder: Cut only the fabric from you will need, the rest will be used another day in a different size.

As you know, I don’t necessarily cut as the Quilt Police will do. From Fabric A, I cut the squares at 5” and will trim the unit. The Quilt Police will tell you to cut 4-7/8” square. I am not perfect, I would rather trim than be too small. E and B are cut a fraction over also. But you use the method you prefer to get the blocks to come out measuring 4-1/2” square.

From Fabric A cut a piece 5” x WOF and subcut into 8 pieces that measure 5” square. Cut these in half diagonal from corner to corner making 16 large triangles.

From Fabric E and from Fabric B, cut 4 squares from EACH fabric that measure 5", and cut diagonally from corner to corner in both directions, making sure not to move the squares so you get the size you need for these small triangles. You now have 16 small triangles from each fabric.

Assemble one B and one E triangle as shown. Make sure all 16 pieces look exactly alike. When you put the longest side down, the A (my white) will be on the left and the B (my dark print) will be on the left. Press gently.

Place one A and one E-B piece together, again making sure to place the pieces so they match the photos. Sew together. Trim by placing the diagonal on your 4-1/2” square along the diagonal and trim as needed. You will have 16 identical blocks that measure 4-1/2”.

And that is all for this week. Are you excited for next week? I am. And interested to see how some of you will put the 2 sets of blocks together. I really love when you try to guess the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails week-3-.jpg   week-3-b.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 05-14-2016 at 07:25 AM.