View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Dina

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
I learned this expensive lesson years ago, long before I started quilting.

Back in the 80's I made most of my clothes, including some things like tailored slacks. I was a single mom at the time, so when a lady at church approached me and asked if I could make a dress for her, all I saw was an opportunity to make some money and never thought to ask several important questions. I didn't think to ask what kind of fabric it was or what type of pattern, and told her I would do it for $20.00. STUPID ME STUPID ME STUPID ME!!! NO WONDER her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree when I gave her the price - she handed me a bag with six yards of slinky, slide-y silk charmeuse and a pattern for a dress with a full circle skirt on it!

I didn't have the guts back then to say, "I'm sorry...I'll have to re-think that price and timeline..." and went ahead and made it. It took me weeks longer than I originally thought it would, but every time I called her to tell her it was taking longer, she just happily said, "That's fine!" UGH! She knew she was taking advantage of my ignorance, plus she'd seen my work and knew that I would do a good job regardless...

That dress was a nightmare - I had to do French seams on almost the entire dress, plus it needed tons of handwork. It turned out beautiful though and she very happily handed me a twenty dollar bill when it was finished. Didn't even seem ashamed of herself.

After that I did one more dress for a little girl at church. I charged a more realistic price, but the mom picked a pattern that had miles and miles of ruffles and gathers. What a headache! After that I decided that I would NEVER sew for money again! Took all the fun out of it.

Now I only make quilts for people that I love, and I make them as gifts, on my own timeline. I don't do mending either, and like many of you, I have a seamstress that I take my mending and alterations to. I don't have a problem telling people "No" any more. Life's too short to put up with that aggravation.

The problem that I have now is with my best friend - we've been besties for around 25 years and I love her dearly...can't imagine life without her. I've been working on an Irish Chain quilt for her and I'm looking forward to hand quilting it (never done that before.)

She's a very loving, giving person, but she does a lot of guilt and has a hard time receiving things from others. She's thrilled that I'm making her the quilt but she kept trying to pay me for it until out of frustration one day I said,"NANCY! If you try to pay me one more time for this GIFT that I'm so lovingly and willingly making for you, I'm gonna burn the damn thing! OK?!"

She looked a bit shocked and then we both started laughing. Then she said, "You're right...I've got to stop doing that. THANK YOU...I'm going to cherish this quilt!"
I LOVE this story!

Dina