Thread: Backing?
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Jane Quilter

ooh....I cant use flannel (its too hard to hand quilt through), I can never use an old sheet ( it is IMPOSSIBLE to hand quilt through because of high thread count), I cant use wide fabric because I have to quilt on my lap and must break a king/queen/double down to smaller pieces anyway. That said......I am cheap, so I use leftovers from the front, leftovers from other projects, I've bought 99 Cent fabric from walmart that I thought I would regret, but some how, never did. Once I used plain muslin that was cheap at JA, and I used a 40% coupon to get cheaper.....that I did regret because it was so boring. Since I need 9 plus yds to do a king size , I go to an on line place like fabric.com and buy their specials for about $5/yd...I only have to get close, not exact, its a back after all. So my motto is scrap it up and be cheap. Once, for a grandmothers flower garden, I used up all my extra hexes on the back.....cant believe I cant count. See Below:

Another, I made wonkey log cabin blocks from leftover fabric or scraps of similar colors. See Below: