View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Janan

Default My Marimekko quilt

My daughter is getting married and because we have some Finnish blood in us, I thought it would be fun to make her a quilt made of Finnish fabric for a wedding gift. I purchased some Marimekko fabric scraps and will do a scrappy disappearing four patch quilt. It will be fun (and stressful) to cut the fabric in ways to show off the best of the prints! (I attached a picture of my fabric, my first block, and my inspiration quilt I got off Pinterest.)

I just washed the fabric because the Marimekko site recommended pre-washing and I wanted to know what I was getting myself into. The fabric wrinkled some, but not horribly, thank goodness. Should I buy some starch or sizing? The cotton is a little heavier than most quilt cottons I've sewn with.

I plan on getting brave with my FMQ skills. I want to do one design in the printed squares and another in the white squares. So far, I've only done a meandering stitch on the border of my grandaughter's quilt and discovered it was quite fun! For the white squares, I would like to use a template of some kind so I can do something similar to the inspiration quilt.

Then to plan the quilt backing!! Yikes!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]550077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550078[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550079[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails disappearing-4-patch.png   marimekko.jpg   square.jpg  

Last edited by Janan; 05-15-2016 at 02:10 PM.