View Single Post
Old 05-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Jane Quilter

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
Wow, impressive quilt and I like your idea to embroider shadow blocks. Would love to see the back. I'm curious to know how you broke it down to do quilt as you go...
I made each block a little oversized, then I sandwiched the batting and the backing and hand quilted the tiny block. When I was done quilting the block, I trimmed it to the correct finished size (was it 4 1/2 or 5" I cant remember) and filed it away. When all the blocks were done, I laid out an arrangement that I liked then I began to butt them together and zig zag the two touching. Then I made single fold tape out of the blue border 1/2" wide and hand sewed it to cover the zig zag stitches. I had to make white muslin single fold tape to cover the non blue zig zags on the front and the back. I hesitate to call it sashing because it is not an added 1/2" but a "hide the stitches" cover. Is that clear or too confusing. That is not my regular quilt as you go technique, but it was how I did this one because each block had a different quilting density. Thanks for asking