View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 04:29 AM
QandE2010

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
We had an old family friend who made beautiful patchwork aprons with the squares set on point and the aprons looked like upside down tulips. She sewed everything using her treddel (don't know why I can't spell it, her stitches were precise just like her seams. I learned a lot from her, but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to her teach me to quilt. Lots of things were harder back then, like doing your washer in the old wringer washing machine, hanging clothes out on the clotheslines, and in winter, having them hang up to try on temporary clotheslines in the living room, the warmest part of the house. Although mom would hang the sheets out even in winter where they would freeze, then she would bring them in to hang in the living room to dry; but they sure smelled good.
My mom did the exact same thing, as did my Grandma. OT, I agree that Some of the unused words are hard to spell. English is the hardest language to learn for speaking and writing. Treadle is the word you were looking for. Hope this helps. . All the best to you, Marge!