View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 07:53 AM
Bree123

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
I read they are extremely flammable and are a concern because many people are very allergic to them. they would not be a good choice for a baby or child's quilt.
Ooohhh... the flammability is a good point. They do make fragrance-free/dye-free dryer sheets (that's what I use on occasion to clean my iron -- or in a pinch if I ran out of liquid softener), but the other concern would be that if there's any fabric softener left in them. Fabric softener can damage cotton fabric over time which is why I always recommend against using it when washing quilts. I'm not sure how much is actually left in them after 1 run through the dryer, but I do know some frugal people who *swear* you can use them at least 3x before they stop working (I don't do that -- I guess I'm wasteful .
I guess the moral is ... use with caution. People have been using dryer sheets for a while now so perhaps as long as you aren't smoking in bed, aren't gifting the quilt to a child, and don't consider it an heirloom-quality quilt, you should be fine. Then again, there was a time where Frixion pens were all the rage. Only time will tell.