Old 05-18-2016, 06:20 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by sxboyer View Post
My piecing, group and retreat machine is a Janome 3160 QDC... Love it. Some features include the needle positioner and cutter (must haves for me), it is light weight and easy to transport, and sews like a dream. I paid about $400 for it about five years ago, have it serviced at least once a year. Have never had any issue with it!
Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
My machine for taking to class is the Janome 3160 -- I use the Janome 7700 at home. My friend and quilting buddy uses the 3160 as her main machine. It has needle up/down, a thread cutter, and all the fun things that my big machine has but is only about 12 pounds. It is a bit more expensive than what you were looking at but you may be able to find it used for less.
I am going to 3rd the recommendation for the Janome 3160QDC. I have 20+ sewing machines (mostly vintage) but my 3160 is the machine I take to classes that involve anything beyond basic piecing. It can definitely handle doing quilting! And I love that it has the scissor-cut button, for me that is a "must-have" feature for a modern machine! It's a quiet machine that moves very smoothly. To me it has a "deluxe" feel to it - not rattly or cheap-feeling like a lot of modern machines can be. I'm spoiled by all my vintage steel machines that are built like tanks...for a modern machine the 3160 feels very solid and well-built to me.

It's probably right at the top of your price range, though.