View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 05:28 PM
elnan

Originally Posted by Cass62 View Post
I've never used dryer sheets for foundations, but I'm tempted to try it for applique. For string blocks, I use deli wrap from a restaurant supply. I've used the ones from MSQC and liked them, but deli wrap is the same thing and much less expensive.
I thought those warnings about flammability of dryer sheets was more Henny Penny and the skys-a-falling than fact. I took a used dryer sheet outside along with a strip of the nylon foundation I've already used for some of the blocks I'm making. I held each one up and lit at the bottom with a match, then dropped to a concrete porch. The dryer sheet had an interesting burn pattern, looking like moving cracks in dry mud or the pattern of heat lightning. It burned longer than I had expected. The nylon foundation strip melted where the flame from the match touched, but did not continue to burn. I'll use up what I have, but will be aware of where these will be used.

I like that idea of deli-wraps, thank you for the heads-up on them. My question is do they tear easily to remove, or as easily as the phone book pages?