Old 05-19-2016, 04:37 AM
DawnFurlong

After a couple of years hiatus from quilting (couple of moves, one out of state), I decided to slow my process down and just try to enjoy it all. So, I have focused on:

1. How it feels to cut my fabric precisely (ok, not quite there, but am trying different tips which are bumping it up a notch). And I have actually enjoyed it for the most part, just slowing the process down.

2. While I do get bored when doing the same square endlessly, I have been also focused on improving my scant quarter inch. Love the feeling of zipping along a seam and seeing the end result of a straight, even seem. And I break it apart. My quilts are for me, so I don't have to be in a rush.

3. I will admit to finding borders boring, that is probably my least favorite part. Partly because I am apprehensive at that point on the "squareness" of my quilt (even though so far they have all turned out well in the end). But I hate measuring and getting 3 different measurements (all within 1/2 inch or less), even after squaring up!

4. I don't mind sandwiching, though the larger ones are a little more stressful as I struggle to find room to do them and have to push stuff around.

5. I don't like cutting a large piece of fabric apart for backing, but that is only because I haven't quite figured out how to do it and have a straight cut so I have a straight seam. Working on that one.

5. I look forward to the FMQ'ing. That's when it really starts becoming a quilt! On a larger one though, I do get glassy eye'd by the end. But I am looking forward to expanding beyond stippling.

6. I used to dread the binding, but the last binding I put on (using my new machine) - I used the integrated walking foot and it made such a difference! Fast, easy, accurate! I wasn't fighting with my binding edges.

7. I would say that squaring up my blocks (which I did for the first time on my last quilt) wasn't that much fun, and quite boring after about 200 of them. Also, I don't think I did it correctly, but I did it the same for all blocks. So actually looking forward to doing it correctly on the next one, think that will make a difference.

8. I love, love, love looking at fabrics and different patterns! I am not so good at picking fabrics, so am so very thankful for the wonderful ladies a the LQS who I end up turning to for help at some point. :-)