Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
suzeq

When we first married, my husband, a minister, told me to never turn anything down someone wanted to give me, even if I just took it down the road and threw it out!
Recently, my Son-in-Law, brought his deceased Mother's stash to me in two well stretched 40 gallon garbage bags, 4 boxes about 16x16 or so. It was quilt, garment,homedec fabric. I did just what you suggested. Thank goodness it did not smell. I sorted it, kept what I wanted. Then called a neighbor to come see if she wanted any of it. Well, she took some, including a pretty floral piece for draperies. She said, "I have two dresses at home that I can wear with this." She made the most beautiful plain jacket and has since made more dresses. Then, I let my 1/2day a week housecleaner go through it. You should have seen the bright orange piece of double knit, talk about putting your eyes out! Then, there is a charity sale every first Tuesday over in town, so I took it there. Nothing stays around long there. These days there is a place for it. But, IMO, please be kind and throw out the dirty, moldy, too small for anything like pieces that are less that an inch wide. I know, I'm talkative. Silvia