View Single Post
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Mimi Sews

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
I sell about 95% of my quilts on Etsy and to US buyers. They are in the 100-150$ baby quilt range. I'm making bright and modern quilt, with designer cotton fabric. But I must say it took me about a year to start selling on a regular basis. You need to work a lot on your pics, your listing. You need to learn how the search algorithm are working to put the right words in your titles and in the right order. These algorithm changes from time to time, so it`s never a done thing, you have to keep well informed. You need to have about 25 items listed for your shop to appears in the search (so I have some potholders and small items in my shop). Also, it helps to be ready to do custom quilt. Buyers see a quilt in your shop, they like it, so they ask you if you can do it in another size or color. For me, it`s worth it for many reasons. I have three little one so going to craft show is not really an option. I see quilting as an art and I'm happy to get any occasion to develop my skills. Sellling on Etsy helps me to pay for my supplies and my time (I have a small longarm and I'm making a baby quilt with a simple design so it doesn't take me that much time). I see custom order as an occasion to try something new or different, so I like it. I think Etsy is not for anyone, it depends what kind of quilt you make, how much time you want to spend on your laptop, etc. It doesn't hurt to try it, starting a shop cost nothing and the listing only 0.20$. But you can't set up your shop and do nothing; you must be prepared also to have to work for a few months before starting selling anything.
Thank you, profannie. That's some very good information and advice. I do have the time and am willing to put in the effort. I also realize it will take time to acquire a good customer base. You have given me a lot to think about. I like your idea of selling smaller items such as potholders and table runners. I guess it can't hurt to try and see what happens. I can also explore my local options at the same time. Thanks again!