View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 09:19 AM
ShowMama

Default Canning - Green Beans to start

My dad gave me a 5-gallon bucket almost full of green beans. He's 95 and his garden is one of his best pleasures. Anyway, I snapped all those beans and canned them last night. I got 7 pints, 6 quarts, and a large "mess" to have for supper tomorrow night.

I love to can our garden bounty. We didn't plant beans (since Daddy did) but have cabbage, onions, tomatoes, squash, 3 kinds peppers, radishes, lettuce, and cucumbers. I can my own tomato salsa plus Ro-tel-like tomatoes with jalapenos. We'll make pickles when the cucumbers are ready.

With all the rain we've had this year, the cabbages have really grown. My husband gave my sister a cabbage that weighed 10 pounds! She used it for herself plus her two grown children and their families, and still had some left. Last year our cabbages grew so big we learned to make sauerkraut. We made 25 pounds and it turned out very well.

Now we're anticipating putting up sweet corn. We're going to try that in vacuum freezer bags this year. We'll blanch the ears, cut off the corn, and pack it into the bags. Easy-peasy!

There's nothing like home canned goodness!