Thread: fabric hoarding
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM
AnnieF

As far as donating, I live in the Rochester, NY area and Fairport, NY has a very special shop. It's call Crafts Bits & Pieces. It was started by volunteers who were funding a transportation system for the elderly in their town. People bring in all sorts of leftover crafting materials: fabric, yarn, knitting needles, sewing machines, stamping, patterns, books......whatever you have in your sewing craft room that you will never pick up again. Volunteers sort and price the products from a storefront and these are sold out of another storefront in the same plaza. Donations come in from people like me who are downsizing or whole quilting stashes when people pass away. If I'm looking to start a new craft I go there first, if I'm looking for say solid fabric for a scrappy quilt, I go there first. They have the bits and pieces that all crafters love at bargain prices ($1 - $2/yard for fabric, knitting needles $.50) and what a wonderful way to make sure people recycle their craft pieces and they don't go to a landfill. Sometimes they are overwhelmed with donations....that's where the need for a separate donation space came from). Wonderful idea.