View Single Post
Old 05-28-2016, 06:46 AM
paintmejudy

Default Week 5 - final clue

Well, I measured my topper when it was finished and it is close enough to 33, it is actually almost 34, but no matter how yours turns out, as you can see from the finish, everyone’s tops will come out perfectly.

The rest of the directions for cutting will be for using the A and D fabrics for the prairie points, and the C for the final border. As you can see from my topper, I used A and D but, if you have enough fabric, there would be no reason not to use 3 or 4 colors in your prairie points. Whatever makes you happiest is good!

For the prairie points, if using the 2 colors, from A and D cut 2 strips from each that measure 3-1/2” wide, subcut into 3-1/2” squares. Each WOF strip should give you 22 squares of each fabric. You will need 24 of each of A and of D, so these will be cut from the scraps of the leftovers. (If using 3 colors in your prairie points, you will need 16 of each color, or 11 each of 4 fabrics.) Fold the square in half on the diagonal, then fold in half again to make triangles. I used spray starch to keep these little thingies all nicely staying together. Did you know that if you spray the starch on the wrong side of the fabric, you won’t get those little flakes of white stuff on the right side of your pretty fabrics? This is especially nice to know if you are using dark fabrics.

From Fabric C cut 4 strips WOF at 4” wide. When you look at the picture of the C, it was cut at 2-1/4 but I think it is too skimpy. Didn’t realize that until it was all sewn together, so I just added in a 2-1/2” piece. Don’t like that I had to piece it, but hey, it’s for my bedroom, I’m the only one who will see it. So … cut your C at 4” wide unless you want it smaller or larger.

Lay down a strip of C. I used the measurements on the cutting board for placement of the points. There is a prairie point eye-balled at each 2 inch mark. I used 6 of each, pinned into place and then tacked them down 1/8” away from the edge, just to hold together where the points lapped. If your point seems to fall too close to the edge of the sashing, move the point a teeny bit away from the edge. This will be where you adjust the strip of prairie points to have the points end at the end of the sashing. When I made these strips, I kept the end of the prairie point ½” of an inch from the edge of the topper.

Make 4 strips alike. Or if you want the colors at the corners to match, make 2 strips alike, and 2 strips that start with a different color. This will work with 2 colors, you will need to do your own adjusting if you are doing 3 or 4 colors in the prairie points. Sew two opposite side on, then trim. Then do the other sides and trim.

I am going to use a very thin batt with minimal quilting, and bind with my A fabric.

And now I have to admit it, but I hate this part – the final clue. I have so much fun on these train rides that I am sad when they end. Hope you enjoyed the ride as much as I did. So, what do you think? Are you pleased with your topper? Hope so, and can’t wait to see how you finish your toppers, or quilts if you are going bigger. Will be checking in to see your progress over the next week.
Attached Thumbnails week-5-.jpg   week-5-b.jpg   week-5-c.jpg   week-5-d.jpg   week-5-e.jpg  

week-5-f.jpg