Thread: Spiral FMQ help
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2016, 10:21 AM
annette1952

I think you are doing great. It does take lots of practice for sure. I'm not very good at FMQ but I watch a lot of videos & have several books & I get better all the time. Still I have a long way to go. I think drawing the lines on your practice piece & following them is a great way to get the hang of it. Then try without the lines. Also use a thread that matches to hide any errors. Also for the backing use a print or a busy fabric to hide any errors. I wouldn't use a solid color backing to start out with. Another way is with the new rulers they have out now for domestic machines. They are pricey but you can just keep adding on to your collection of rulers over time. There are all kinds of tips & techniques on beginning FMQ on you tube. The possibilities are endless. I think practice though is #1. Just make up a whole bunch of little quilt sandwiches & practice. I also practice first on a dry erase board or you can just use paper. I'm just passing on some info I find helpful. I am, by no means, good at FMQ yet. I can meander pretty good but that is about it. So I practice a lot on motifs & especially feathers. I don't think I'll ever be able to do a decent feather! lol Just have fun & you will get better all the time. Keep some of your practice pieces & check them out in 6 months with your new practice pieces. You will be surprised!