View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 04:47 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
the only "old way" I know is English paper Piecing. The only machine mades have a seam that splits one of the diamonds. Is there another way?
I made a traditional tumbling blocks by machine without the split. It is pictured here http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t22344.html . While it is hand quilted it is most definitely pieced by machine. You use the technique called Y seams or set in seams. To the OP, if you google directions for sewing Y seams by machine you will find many tutes. This principal is applied to any Y seam from Tumbling blocks to Lemoyne Star. It may seem daunting and tedious to not be able to speed piece or strip piece but once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly and it is a very valuable skill set to have in your quilt making arsenal. But there are no short cuts if constructing the traditional way. And I would recommend marking every seam allowance intersection where the Y meets at each corner of the diamonds. This step will make construction go smoother IMHO.