Thread: Different edges
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Bree123

I'm thinking you might mean Satin Cord Binding, maybe??? I want to try that on my next wall quilt (was going to try it on my guild name tag, but realized all the tiny pieces that would only be 1/4" wide if I trimmed to the edge of where the binding was supposed to cover -- to create our logo -- & would cause me issues. But I love the look & definitely want to try it!

There are all sorts of options out there -- though mainly they are used with art quilts. A traditional double french binding or self-binding technique will give you the best washability, but if longevity in spite of regular laundering isn't your top priority, there are dozens of other options that I've seen. If you searching "binding" on this website, you'll find a whole bunch of fun options: http://www.nationalquilterscircle.com

Ripped shot cotton
Grosgrain ribbon
Crocheted
Dye painted batting (it seizes up on itself when dyed & doesn't come apart as long as it's not laundered) & no binding
Piped/Faux piped binding
Beaded edge
Rattail
Satin Cord
Flanged and piped flanges
And of course, all the fun shapes like shark's teeth, curvy edges, and so forth

If it is Satin Cord Binding, they have a tutorial at National Quilter's Circle, but you need to pay $9.99 for an annual membership (it's well worth it! over 200 tutorial videos are included for that $9.99), or I'm sure someone else here can give another link.