View Single Post
Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 AM
Sewnoma

I've never canned anything but I'm determined to learn how! Once my gran passed away my family lost that - nobody gardens or cans anything in my family anymore. I miss all the rows of jars of produce my gran kept in the garage, and her homemade jam!

My backyard is about to be remodeled and I'm having about half of the (small) yard turned into a veggie garden, with raised beds. I have had a (very small) garden before but this one will be about 3X the size of the last one - I think I can fit six 8'x3' beds back there. Some will end up in partial shade but most will have full sun so I think I can make it work.

I intend to grow heirlooms as much as possible as I want to learn how to save my seeds from one year to the next. I intend to can, pickle or freeze as much as possible - I don't want a single bit of it to go to waste!

It won't be finished until nearly August (it's part of a larger remodel project) so I won't have time to grow much of a crop this year, but I am SO excited about next spring! I've been reading up on freezing and canning produce...

Nothing beats home grown veggies!