View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 AM
lovelyl

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
You have been given misleading advice, or someone is thinking all wrong about it. Most models take standard domestic needles, which is needle system 705, 15x1 or 130, different numbers for the same needle. Some models take different needle systems, like 301, model 12, industrial machines, etc.

We often use the term "needle size" inter-changeably with both needle system and the thickness of the needle shaft. I suppose it's more correct to use "needle size" about the width or thickness of the needle. It's easily very confusing until you knw the difference. To make it even more so, there are various systems to indicate the size/width too: 70 is the same as #10, 80= #12, and 90= #14,.. The older cast iron models can take up to size 140/#22, which allows for a thicker thread.

Some brands are possibly better than others, but who ever the maker is should not matter: Schmetz, Klasse, Singer, Orgran willl work fine, even less common brands or generic needles should be fine. They should ge made to the same very accurate measurments.
What needle should I be using for my 301? I thought it just used the common 15x1.