Thread: Quilting ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 PM
quiltingshorttimer

Originally Posted by glassbird View Post
This thread is very interesting to me as I am working on a log cabin as well, as a QAYG project. I am still at the block piecing stage, but am trying to come up with a plan for quilting, when I get to that point. I am currently planing to use Quilter's Dream Puff, which is supposedly a high loft batting...although the sample piece that I have does not seem all that lofty.

All I have come up with so far is a squared spiral, starting from the inner most "chimney" square, and circling out along the edges of the strips, either in the ditch or close to it.

Are other responders in this thread saying that they would quilt over the logs in a pattern that does not follow the actual logs, i.e. a meander, or feathers, or something else? I would have to see a log cabin top done this way to really understand. Seems to me that the strong graphic lines of these blocks would fight an overall pattern. Hmmm...I could be wrong (it happens).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]551576[/ATTACH]

(These blocks are not necessarily going to be located next to each other in the finished quilt. There will be a lot more randomness going on once I have more blocks.)

that's exactly what I'm suggesting--I've seen a couple of stunning Log cabin quilts (I think the layout was what is called barn raising where it was a diamond in the center pattern) and the quilter did feathers following the light portions and something else in dark sides--the feathers all joined across the quilt and did not end in the block. It was just beautiful. the other one used feathers and curved cross hatching on the dark.
Question--you say you're doing a Quilt As You Go quilt, so that means your won't be doing any further quilting since as you put your blocks together you will be actually sewing the block onto the bat and back??