Thread: Quilting ideas
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2016, 12:41 PM
glassbird

Apparently there are many different ways of doing a QAYG project, and I am still feeling my way thru the first, with the aid of several YouTube videos and a class that I am taking later this week. But the general plan includes sandwiching the top, batting, and backing for each block, and then doing the quilting right then...easier to to move a 12 x 12 inch square around than to move a whole queen sized quilt. In my case, for this quilt, I think I will be simply stitching in the ditch, in a squared spiral following the logs out from the center.

I plan on quilting the sashing as each row is assembled...bigger than the blocks, but still smaller than the whole quilt. If you want a quilting pattern that flows from one block to the next, this might not be the way to go, but there are so many variations on the method that I bet there is a way to do it. And this quilt is so strong visually with all the vibrant prints, that if I did opt to do something fancier (feathers?) that the quilting would be lost. Anyway, I want puffy! The prints are mostly from the 1980s and I remember some puffy quilts from back then!

I would love to "talk" on about this, but I don't want to hijack another persons thread.