Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 AM
Tothill

I find these sort of articles to be oddly biased.

The combination of warnings does not make sense. Coal tar and carrageen? One is a natural product, the other produced in a chemical plant.

People used to eat lots of tripe, it is less common now, but still a good source of protein. So eating cow's stomach is ok, but eating a sheep or goats stomach is not? Rennet has been used in cheese making and can be bought to make pudding at home, why is it an issue?

Carrageen has been used in cooking for centuries.

The article mentions that Lanolin is used as nipple cream, so it is safe for babies, but not in gum? Lanolin is also used in many cosmetics, it is an incredible moisturizer. My grandmother worked with raw wool as a spinner and weaver, the lanolin in it helped her RA.

Beetles have been used as food, and cloth colouring for hundreds if not over 1000 years. Is it bad to eat bugs?

I do not think beavers should have their anal glands harvested, I have no idea is they kill the beaver to do that, but unless the whole animal is being consumed, I think it wrong. But is a naturally occurring flavouring worse than one produced in a chemical plant?

I do my best to eat locally produced food. I make most meals from scratch. I do read ingredient labels and refuse to buy some products due to certain ingredients, but more because I react to them. I cannot each cheese or anything else with Modified Milk Ingredients. I do not know what they are, but I do know I get sick if I consume food containing it.